Common people mostly have fickle minds; they are always guided by what they wish to believe, often with their advantage. When they are worried, frightened and clueless about the future they are most susceptible to doubt and conspiracy theories. For the last half a year people throughout the globe are extremely disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, not really much due to the deadly effects of the virus compared to the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it’s brought in its wake. They desperately need certainly to go back to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a scam, it’s only a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is established and the social media as always helps it spread-at times considerably faster compared to the killer virus. Probably the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the important points that over 80 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only older people with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that normally the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for many countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young adults too and anyone can be infected from this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’parts of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions right from the start symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US of which we will not make an explanation here just to stop vulnerable minds proceed through and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to mention here that this writer got a cultural media forward giving an url to an article by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is a’political hoax ‘. Even as we mentioned earlier a lot of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other when compared to a medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that merely a’annual influenza’has been defined as a pandemic and he wanted action against the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a chain of reactions in the state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections rather than destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory breaks down at the fundamental premise itself: if that is so then this phenomenon must certanly be occurring every year, and why then this year must be so different! Governments need not have gone on an emergency drive to create more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds merely to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of numerous affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some of which we narrate below as arguments to break such types of fake and motivated views:
1. Let us take the example of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring a lot of conspiracy theories about China itself we just ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is the effect of a virus) when it comes to continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful keeping in mind the infected numbers below 100,000 the country continues to be fearing another outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to stop its spread. Its aggression against India can also be explained as part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed over fifty percent a million to date and continues to be on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to a state of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one would be to account for a death rate of over 14% (seen in several countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization carry on telling’lies’that the brand new Coronavirus is extremely dangerous that could probably stay for a lot more than couple of years and the worst is yet ahead despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to possess accepted at first that this pandemic is the greatest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the entire world carry on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave just how for a recession possibly even worse compared to the Great Depression? Particularly, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it’s achieved in development so far.
5. Why is such a mad rush throughout the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At least such an intensive medical research cannot mask an invisible agenda whatever that will be.
Within the last few couple of days new cases in India have already been rising at nearly 25000 per day with the sole solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. At this crucial juncture we ought to not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to produce a kill when it comes to profit. For example, in case a link for an article with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media and motivated media outlets think of the sort of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.